Sunday, September 11, 2005

Top 885 Albums

Philadelphia, PA's WXPN-FM (88.5), one of the premier AAA radio stations in the USA, asked its listeners to submit lists to the station of their Top 10 albums. The contest ended September 5, and, after the votes are counted, playback of the Top 885 will begin on September 27. Many listeners posted their top 10 on the station's Bulletin Boards, including me:

When I started making a list of my top albums, I was using many criteria. What were others saying … what classics were likely to finish well in the voting etc., etc. So, of course I thought about the Beatles, Steely Dan, the Eagles, Yes, Springsteen, and much, much more. And there have been some great lists posted! But as I organized them, I put all that aside. I focused on those albums have meant the most to me over the years, that still resonate with me today. As a good friend would describe it, it was music that “shook me to the core” (in ways both big & small). So here they are:

Miles Davis-Kind of Blue: I was again reminded of its magnificence when Jazzfrac (Tim) died. Miles Davis said that “Music is about the spirit and the spiritual” and this is a truly spiritual album. He called upon an amazing gathering of stellar musicians, and himself, to go beyond mere sketches and be moved to create a new sound, laid-back but melodic. I still hear new bits every time I listen, so this selection is a total no-brainer.

Lyle Lovett-Lyle Lovett & His Large Band: He has always been one of my sister’s favorite artists, but I didn’t like his music much until I was persuaded to listen to Joshua Judges Ruth. This one’s my favorite record of his, though; funny & touching lyrics, my favorite song is probably “Nobody Knows Me”; great cover of “Stand By Your Man”.

Run-D.M.C.-Run D.M.C: Back in 1984, when one of my buddies rolled by in his Cadillac Coupe DeVille with this blasting from his tape deck, I am sure my jaw dropped. I had to have it, it was so different, powerful & original from the little rap I was familiar with then (like Sugarhill Gang). It hit and hit hard; “Hard Times” & “Rock Box” especially. That I picked up De La Soul’s 3 Feet High and Rising, and LL Cool J’s Radio I attribute to first listening to this record.

AC/DC-Back In Black: I have never been a big fan of hard rawk, but this one stands well above the rest. It’s not so much a guilty pleasure for me as it’s a simple (and sometimes simple is best), no holds-barred tribute to sex and drinking (and nothin’ wrong with that!). Then there’s the dark-“Hell’s Bells”-and the speedy “Shoot To Thrill”-all in about 40 minutes total. Still my favorite album for a good gym workout.

The Smiths-The Queen Is Dead: This was the killer combination of Morrissey & Marr at its best, just devastating, melancholy & romantic. I mean, I had listened to their stuff before-“Meat Is Murder” comes to mind. But this one had “Bigmouth Strikes Again”-just terrific energy. I walked home after buying this at a Waxie Maxie’s (this was in D.C.) and promptly listened to it non-stop like 10 times; it turned me into a huge Smiths fan.

Indigo Girls-Rites Of Passage: I immediately took to this album, having been introduced to their music by an ex-g.f. I think it’s probably just the combination of the melodies, the lyrics and the harmonies that make it so special for me. And post-relationship, it was a bit of a cathartic (if ironic) outlet. One great song after another: “Galileo”, “Ghost” and “Let It Be Me”.

Portishead-Dummy: Another brilliant record which left me thunderstruck; from the opening cut “Mysterons”, Beth Gibbons’ voice, the strings, the mellow guitars, the samples … really just an enjoyable trip-hop classic that helped introduce to me the Sneaker Pimps, and Supreme Beings of Leisure, among others.

Emmylou Harris-Pieces of the Sky: I picked this up sometime in the mid-80s, also in DC. An amazing voice here (and today as well), understated and vulnerable; “Boulder To Birmingham” is maybe my favorite cut on the record. And someone named Rodney Crowell contributed a song also to this record.

Sarah Vaughn-Crazy and Mixed Up: She had a great quartet behind her and just some terrific tunes. I used to borrow this from my mom & dad’s collection (how it got in there, I don’t know, they otherwsise seemed to have a lot of Ferrante & Teichner (?), Sinatra, Jackie Gleason, and the Ink Spots). I digress. "I Didn't Know What Time It Was," is simply perfect.

Stevie Ray Vaughan (w/Double Trouble)-Live Alive: This is somebody I had to include; it was just a mere question of which record. I chose this one because it brings me back to my one, and only, SRV concert, at the Mann in ‘87. What a showman, what amazing solos and arrangements recorded here. And Jimmie Vaughan to boot! Great cover of “Superstition” and of course, “Voodoo Chile”. It’s hard to believe next week it’ll be 15 years since Stevie Ray’s death. Crying or Very sad

10 that missed the cut …

The Band-The Band
Crowded House-Together Alone
Rolling Stones-Let It Bleed
Mary Chapin Carpenter-Come On Come On
Liz Phair-Exile In Guyville
John Prine-John Prine
Jeff Buckley-Grace
Big Audio Dynamite-Megatop Phoenix
The Crow-movie soundtrack-various artists
Joni Mitchell-Court & Spark

9 comments:

Hookfinger said...

Nice. You're already getting spam.

Anonymous said...

Well, as I have said, yours is a wonderful and impressive list and any could be my choices as well.
Well done!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to see that John Prine "John Prine" didn't make your list, but at least it was on the "just cut." I was a little surprised that it wasn't on any of the XPNers' lists.

Paul Bobnak said...

Sebastian-

Prine is great and this one did move up a lot when I was compiling the list (I started with over 150). You may wish to check the XPN Bulletin Board-I think there is a John Prine thread in the 885 Greatest Albums forum.

Marisa said...

Looking at your lists, I can't believe I forgot to include John Prine on my list.

Anonymous said...

John Prine made my list!

Anonymous said...

God only knows how I got here but I finally suffered through 700+ albums and decided it was time to noodle around and see if people really did care about this, which of course I knew they did. Soooo, here I am and I, too, was in college in the 80s and God bless you all for never having stepped foot in a bar during college because we listened to a tremendous amount of NRBQ. But the real reason that you get my response is that I, too, was a child of WHFS, first in Bethesda and then, ruefully, in Annapolis (did you know it is Latin fusion now???), but I remember Frantic Friday with Weasel playing Rock-N-Roll with Beastie Boys, Squeeze, NRBQ and I wish I could remember what else. Got to put some babies to bed but thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Anonymous said...

thought-provoking, mootable pv. just my thoughts, well anyways gl & be chipper is what i say

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the fine blog and read.

Feel free to visit mine at http://www.spyware-beware.com/Spyware/Spyware_Detection.html
spyware removal software It is very interesting. Hope you like it too.