Friday, June 09, 2006

Great Song: "I Wanna Be Your Dog"

I'm sure most of you know the impact of "I Wanna Be Your Dog" by The Stooges. Pre-dating the era of the Clash, Sex Pistols, the Ramones, et al., by nearly a decade, this is punk rock at its purest. Over a blazing, three-chord guitar riff, Iggy Pop screams about the pain of teenage hormones:

So messed up I want you here
In my room I want you here
Now we're gonna be
face-to-face
And I'll lay right down in favorite place
And now I wanna be
your dog
Now I wanna be your dog
No I wanna be your dog
Well c'mon
Raw & loud? Of course, that's what makes it so good! And the perfect thing for a warm Spring-going-on-Summer day.

For a fun listening experience, check out some covers here. Bowie's is pretty cool; others on the site are by Joan Jett, Uncle Tupelo, the Meat Puppets, and many more!

Covers of "I Wanna Be Your Dog"

No comments: