Tuesday, August 01, 2006

XPN's Next Countdown: 885 All Time Greatest Artists

WXPN is at it again: another Fall countdown is coming. Two years ago, to mark the move to the new building, the station's listeners voted for the Top 885 Songs of All Time, which were played back over the course of three weeks. The winner was "Thunder Road". Last year, the vote was on the Top 885 Albums of All Time, and the winner was Abbey Road. This time, it's the Top 885 Artists, and I think it's going to be very interesting.

With the two previous countdowns, it was inevitable that there would be large numbers of votes for various songs and records by the Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, etc. Certain artists are sure to garner large numbers of votes, and will finish well here also, but there is bound to be much more diversity after the first 50 on the final list.

I am going to base my selections on those artists that I think have made an impact on the world, even if it's just my world. The names I've already started tossing around in my head span various genres, generations, even countries. And to correct for the natural bias in favor of the Beatles, Springsteen, et al., I'm going to exclude them from my top 20. That still leaves a lot of names.

And, now, to open Excel and get my list going ...

No comments: