Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Are You Asking Me Or Telling Me?

There are a lot of silly things that people do or say that annoy me. Drivers not using turn signals when they should is a big one. I'm also bothered when people casually use profanity in a public place, like a bank, or supermarket . Another practice that's been getting on my nerves lately is the habit some people have of ending every sentence in a conversation in a question. This probably sounds familiar: "And then I stopped at CVS to buy Advil? And I remembered I had to call and get my prescription filled?" As it turns out, there's a name to his special kind of pain: uptalking. In the Urban Dictionary, it's defined as:

verb and noun
n. uptalker; n and adj. uptalking

1. A way of speaking that puts an upward inflection on the last word of a statement that makes it sound like a question when it's not. (Common among teens and surfers.)
2. (grammar) speak with high-rise terminals (HRT).
Examples:

An uptalker would say "I've bought a new camera?" as though it were a question.

To say "Have a nice day" in uptalk, raise the last syllable as though you are asking a question: "Have a nice day?"
I'm convinced some people talk this way because they lack enough confidence, even when making a statement of fact. Or they're looking for approval from others. I know I've read about this before, I just have to remember where.

No comments: