Thursday, July 12, 2007

Classic Commercials: Chanel No 5

While perusing the YouTube listings, I looked up these 2 classic TV spots for Chanel No 5 that ran in the late 1970s-early 1980s.

The first "Share The Fantasy" ad was directed by Ridley Scott (Alien, Blade Runner, G.I. Jane, Gladiator), with music by Vangelis. Truly surrealistic masterpiece, loaded with symbolism:



This "Share The Fantasy" ad from 1982 features sophisticated couple Charles & Catherine, an airplane shadow moving up the side of the Transamerica building in San Francisco, and a cover of the Ink Spots' "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire". Love it!

8 comments:

Bevin Chu said...

That was flat out the greatest TV commercial ever made.

Incidentally, it's "I don't want to set the world on fire."

Not "I just want to set the world on fire."

But I agree with you. Love it!

Paul Bobnak said...

Fixed soon after your comment-thanks, and thanks for visiting!

Visit again!

Heclam said...

who sings "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire" in this chanel Comercial?!?!?

Anonymous said...

The Inkspots

Philippe said...

Mmm... No, definitely not the Inkspots, although their interpretation remains the most popular. Ella Fitzgerald also recorded that song, but it doesn't sound like her voice. Anyway I would be glad to know : it is an elegant rendition.

Philippe said...

Mmm... No, definitely not the Ink spots, although their interpretation is very popular. It might be Ella, who also happened to interpret this song, but... It doesn't sound exactly like her voice. I would be glad to know anyway : it's quite an elegant rendition.

Mark Daye said...

That was my favorite tv commercial and it also introduced me to The Ink Spots, although its not them singing in the commercial.

I saw it as a teenager and asked my Nanny about the song. She had the Ink Spots album in her collection. I now have it in mine! I've wondered for years what the ad was for, today I found out! Thank YOu!!

Austin Joseph Casey said...

It's not The Ink Spots.. it's Bill Kenny of The Ink Spots. He recorded this song just before his death in 1978. Chanel used it without permission from Kenny's wife (Kenny was deceased at the time) and She sued. It was taken from the album simply titled "The Ink Spots - If I Didn't Care" on a subsidiary of CBS records in 1979.