Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Comic Strip I Love: Get Fuzzy

Since I stopped subscribing to a daily newspaper in the late 1990s, I really haven't kept up much with the comings-and-goings in the comics world. I know "The Far Side" and "Calvin and Hobbes" are no longer around, but that's about it. When I occasionally pick up a paper, I check out "Dilbert," which is still around, and all-too-familiar. I also like a strip called "Get Fuzzy". It's drawn by Darby Conley, and features the adventures of advertising executive Rob Wilco and his two pets: Satchel Pooch (a dog) and Bucky Katt (a cat).

The three characters live in an apartment in Boston. The humor comes from the conflict between Bucky's and Satchel's personalities, which are extreme stereotypes of cats and dogs. Sweet, trusting, naïve Satchel (always with the wide eyes!) is routinely subjected to the exploitation of cruel, self-centered, aloof Bucky. Rob, the middleman, is pretty frazzled from dealing with them, or more specifically, from dealing with Bucky's destructive nature and overall nastiness.

Absolutely hilarious!

The "Get Fuzzy" website

No comments: