Tuesday, March 13, 2007

More Creativity Killers

I just finished one of the better business books I've read in quite some time. Pushing the Envelope: All The Way To The Top was written by Harvey Mackay, the founder & Chairman of Mackay Envelope Company. The title is a bit of wordplay, because it's not really about how to sell or "push" an envelope. Rather, it's about trying to surpass limits, going to the edge - all those cliches we think of whether we're talking about airplane test pilots or salespeople developing their skills to be more successful. The book is full of advice on hiring, motivating, training, producing, selling, and negotiating in business, that could just as easily be adapted for life in general.

Mackay really resonated with me in listing "creativity killers", the phrases one hears (or says) in business or other endeavors in life that dampen one's spirits and hinder progress. You know what I'm talking about: "That's against policy", "We tried that before and it didn't work", "The competition does it that way" ... you get the idea. I thought of a few more I've heard over the years: "That's just how we do things here", "Oh well, you know (insert your organization's name here)", "The system already works pretty well", and "(insert person's name) is the only person who can do this", and "It's not a priority". I try my best not to buy into that line of thinking.

Harvey Mackay's Website

No comments: