Monday, August 06, 2007

"Union YES"? Are You Kidding?

The "liberal" blog DailyKos had its annual meeting over the weekend in Chicago. The major Democratic Party candidates paraded in front of the teeming multitudes of bloggers, who, as usual, denounced George W. Bush, conservatives, etc., etc. A colossal yawn in my book. But I did have to laugh when I read today that some of these people are actually trying to form a union:
I think people have just gotten to the point where people outside the blogosphere understand the value of what it is that we do on the progressive side," said Susie Madrak, the author of Suburban Guerilla blog, who is active in the union campaign. "And I think they feel a little more entitled to ask for something now.
I know of Ms. Madrak; she used to write for the News Of Delaware County, a weekly in the Philly suburbs, and has indeed made a name for herself as a blogger. But whether your name is Perz Hilton, or the Wonkette, or whatever, a trade union of bloggers is truly a strange idea.

There are so many questions that come to mind, but here's a big one: Who would they (or to be more exact, perhaps, we) be collectively bargaining against? I suppose there may be value in organizing people to get group health plan discounts, but beyond that? Please.

No comments: