Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Icelanders Know Their Icelandic

I've long had a thing for quirky music, but even I was little aware of Sigur Rós, the famed Icelandic band, until I started dating my girlfriend and got to hear some of their ethereal music.

So, I recently checked out their website, downloaded a few tracks ... and then saw one of the more interesting pages I've seen. Knowing that some of their fans around the world might stumble of the names of the musicians, the site includes a handy pronunciation guide, with mp3 files for each sound. For example:
sigur rós si-ur rose (the i is like the i in "hit". "rose" is said very quickly)
Remember, everyone, trill those "r"s!
If I ever go to Iceland, at least I'll know how to sound a little more like a citizen after I seriously attempt some of the language.

Icelandic pronunciation guide (courtesy of Sigur Rós)

2 comments:

Dee said...

"Sigur Ros" means "Victory Rose", BTW!

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»