Monday, May 15, 2006

Where's Ross Perot?

So I was watching the President talk tonight about immigration and his proposals, and at one point, among all the thoughts I had, was a brief memory of a phrase from years ago: "giant sucking sound". No, not about Mr. Bush, or former President Clinton, either. Rather, it is what independent presidential candidate H. Ross Perot said during the 1992 race would be the sound of jobs leaving the United States for Mexico if the North American Free Trade Agreement were to be adopted. Of course, the treaty went into effect on January 1, 2004, and since the 1996 election, Perot has pretty much dropped out of sight.

But I got to wondering if he has had anything to say about today's issues. Turns out, not much. In this brief April article, he shares his thoughts about the U.S. educational system. Suffice to say, he's not happy about it.

And, according to this recent story, Mexico is now losing ground (i.e., low-wage jobs) to the 800-pound economic gorilla: China. Uh oh.

3 comments:

Dee said...

If I knew more about the immigration issue...this has been an issue for decades, and I'm not entirely sure if this country will be able to satisfy everyone.

Dee said...

If I knew more about the immigration issue...this has been an issue for decades, and I'm not entirely sure if this country will be able to satisfy everyone.

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»