Thursday, July 26, 2007

Another Nail In Journalism's Coffin

I read the news today: Weekly World News, my favorite supermarket tabloid, will be folded; the August 28 issue will be its last. When I was at GWU back in the mid-80s, it was part of the regular mix of my reading materials, like the Washington Post and Washington Times. I checked out the cheesy advice columns, read the horoscopes to my girlfriend, and chuckled at the strange-but-true stories that seemed like a modern-day version of "Ripley's Believe It Or Not". The covers of course, were classics-the best this side of the New York Post.

But my favorite feature was "Ed Anger's America", a column of unadulterated, "pig-bitin'" rage against Congress, the IRS, bureaucrats, the French, the communists, the corporations, Hollywood celebrities, and many more. It was like a print version of Morton Downey, Jr. Just hilarious reading!

To be honest, the paper had become only a shadow of itself in the last few years, so perhaps it's best that it leaves the scene. But I'd still like to know who the aliens will be backing for president next year.

1 comment:

Dee said...

Well, I guess we'll never know if BatBoy was once married to Hilary Clinton. ;)