Sunday, July 29, 2007

What's Up With Cindy Sheehan???

I don't know what to think about Cindy Sheehan these days. I opposed the Iraq War strictly on constitutional grounds: the U.S. Congress did not officially declare war against Iraq. All of the other opposition points: "no blood for oil", "no U.S. imperialism" etc., etc., are pretty empty slogans to me. Culturally, I identify myself more with traditional, limited-government conservatives, not neo-conservatives, nor liberals or the Left.

When Sheehan became the de facto head of the anti-war movement following the death of her son, a U.S. soldier in Iraq, I bristled at her harsh rhetoric. While I mourn the loss of her son, Casey, at the hands of a terrible enemy, he had joined the Army of his own free will, after all. Her shrill tone and her meetings with Hugo Chavez and other evil, anti-American creeps also bothered me quite a lot. But a few months ago, she began attacking the Democratic Party establishment. I think that explains why, as much as the opposition to the war has now become a majority of the American public, explains why her support and exposure in the media has dried up.

In an Irish radio interview she revealed her thoughts about Bill Clinton:
His policies are responsible for killing more Iraqis that George Bush. I don't understand why to rise to the level of being president of my country one has to be a monster. I used to say that George Bush was defiling the Oval Office, but it's been held by a long line of monsters.
I'm guessing this didn't endear her to Hillary and the other powers-that-be.

And in a recent editorial, she doesn't think that the Democrats can be looked at as saviors, given their record:
The Democrats are the party of slavery and were the party that started every war in the 20th century, except the other Bush debacle. The Federal Reserve, permanent federal income taxes, not one but two World Wars, Japanese concentration camps, and not one but two atom bombs ...
In all but declaring her candidacy to oppose Nancy Pelosi for her congressional seat, she recites the usual litany of left-wing progressive causes, like more money (i.e., taxpayer funding) for education, health care, etc., etc., most of which I oppose in favor of individual choice. It's going to be interesting to see how the Democratic establishment handles her in the coming months.

No comments: